Training your team and ensuring everyone’s knowledge is up-to-date are important CPD triggers for you. We suggest that you get the team together for a training session based on the activities below and discuss the various ways in which you can offer customers and patients added care in this category.
Subject: Bowel health
This Train Your Team checklist provides support and information to run a team training session on bowel health. This content can also be used for your own CPD.
- Is any further training required to help the team discuss bowel health issues with customers?
- How well do we check customer requests for products that may be indicative of a more serious bowel condition?
- Do we take the opportunity to encourage appropriate customers to attend their GP practice for cancer screening?
- Are we alert to the possibility of bowel conditions that can have similar symptoms?
- Do we have information to hand on the various self-help groups for bowel conditions?
Ensure your support staff understand the following key points:
- The physiology and function of the gut and what can go wrong with it
- The importance of talking to customers who frequently buy antidiarrhoeals or laxatives
- Specific lifestyle tips for customers with occasional constipation
- The range of symptoms associated with IBS
- IBS should not be treated in the pharmacy without a previous medical diagnosis
- What is meant by constipation
- The risk factors associated with bowel cancer
- How an early diagnosis for bowel cancer increases the chances of recovery and survival
- When to refer to the pharmacist.
Action. I will:
- Consider how we can raise bowel cancer awareness in the pharmacy and make sure we know what the arrangements are for bowel cancer screening in our area
- Ensure my pharmacy assistants are able to meet the points in this training checklist.